Application Deadline: Open until filled.
Hours: Full-time, Shift Schedule 24 on /48 off (8a-8a), FLSA non-exempt.
Location: Bluffton, South Carolina – Bluffton Township Fire District
Compensation: Starting Annualized Pay $40,836 - $50,653, depending upon qualifications and experience.
IFSAC or Pro Board Firefighter IIFSAC or Pro-Board Firefighter II
Preferred Additional Certifications
National Registry EMT-Basic or Paramedic
Bluffton Township Fire District (BTFD)
The Bluffton Township Fire District is a traditional fire organization providing fire protection, emergency medical services (EMS) and other emergency services. The District maintains nine (9) fire stations, an administration building and a maintenance and training facility. We encourage the hiring and development of a high functioning and diverse workforce to meet the needs of our citizens and visitors. We can offer a meaningful career, competitive pay and benefits, and an opportunity to proudly serve the Bluffton community.
Division & Position Overview
This is a probationary certified firefighter position performing public safety work involving the protection of life and property and the delivery of Fire District programs.
If applicable, probationary firefighters must successfully complete the requirements of national certification as EMT-B, within one (1) year from date of employment in order to maintain employment with the District.
Roles and Responsibilities
Primary responsibilities for the Firefighter position include but are not limited to the following:
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Responds with assigned crew to emergency and non-emergency incidents within response district; assists in providing emergency medical care; assists in searches for and rescuing victims; and supports the performance of various types of technical rescue operations.
- Provides emergency and non-emergency incident responses such as public assistance and other service calls, which include assistance to the physically ill, injured or impaired, evaluation and minor repairs to fire and smoke detection equipment, and assistance with other citizen concerns.
- Participates in department required monthly and annual training.
- Test and inspect fire hydrants.
- Participates in Public Fire Education and Safety Survey activities.
- Provides professional and respectful service to citizens and visitors in and outside of the fire station.
- Utilizes and wears the appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA) while performing firefighting tasks in environments that may be immediately dangerous to life and health (IDLH) atmospheres.
- Consistently reviews and studies department SOP’s and District Policies.
- Assists in station duties including: cleaning, maintenance, yard work, etc.
- Assists with the equipment and station maintenance and repair duties; assists in evaluating equipment readiness and equipment design, construction and adaptation as needed to meet departmental goals and objectives within budgetary constraints.
- Inspects personal protective equipment for readiness, and informs company officer of any maintenance or problems with the equipment.
- Meets scheduling and attendance requirements.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Maintain daily maintenance records and completes maintenance and equipment reports.
- Conduct tours, lectures and video presentations. Display fire apparatus. Participate in public demonstrations at local school programs and various civic and Fire District functions.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the company officer.
- IFSAC or Pro-Board Firefighter I.
- IFSAC or Pro-Board Firefighter II.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Possession of a valid Class D South Carolina Driver's License.
Please note: Only candidates who are eligible to work in the United States long-term without a need for sponsorship will be considered for this position.
- Minimum one (1) year experience as IFSAC or Pro-Board Firefighter I.
Please email your completed BTFD application and required certifications to firstname.lastname@example.org. Download BTFD Application.
If you are not a Nationally Registered EMT-B or Paramedic, you MUST submit a qualifying WorkKeys/WIN assessment certification with your BTFD application and your application will not be considered until a qualifying WorkKeys/WIN assessment certification is received.Due to the large number of inquiries we receive, only candidates who have met the required qualifications for this position will be contacted.
BTFD is an E-Verify Employer
BTFD is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.