Administrative Assistant I
Application Deadline: November 15, 2019
Hours: Full-time Regular, 40 hour workweek (8a-5p), FLSA non-exempt
Location: Bluffton, South Carolina – Bluffton Township Fire District Headquarters
Compensation: Pay Grade 102, Annual Range $40,233 - $64,373, commensurate with experience/qualifications.
Bluffton Township Fire District (BTFD)
The Bluffton Township Fire District is a traditional fire organization providing fire protection, emergency medical services (EMS) and other emergency services. The District maintains eight (8) fire stations, an administration building and a maintenance and training facility. We encourage the hiring and development of a high functioning and diverse workforce to meet the needs of our citizens and visitors. We can offer a meaningful career, competitive pay and benefits, and an opportunity to proudly serve the Bluffton community.
Division & Position Overview
The BTFD Administrative Division supports and directs fire, rescue, and emergency medical services to both internal and external customers. BTFD is hiring an Administrative Assistant I to provide daily administrative support activities to ensure efficient and effective operations of the Bluffton Fire District in the areas of administration, finance, and human resources.
Roles and Responsibilities
The Administrative Assistant I reports to the Deputy Chief of Administration and works as part of a team. She/he often works with staff and performs a variety of administrative and clerical duties. Primary responsibilities for the Administrative Assistant I include but are not limited to the following:
- Provide clerical and administrative support to Fire Chief, Deputy Chief of Administration, and other members of the department as needed.
- Process incoming calls, assist employees, clients, and administration by providing information regarding District policies, procedures, and/or ensuring the requester is guided to the proper individual.
- Compose and edit a variety of correspondence, reports, memorandum, and other department projects using judgment as to content, accuracy, and completeness under minimal supervision.
- Prepare materials for Board meetings, Fire Department meetings, and workshops; takes minutes at Board meeting; type minutes and send to Chief for approval.
- Maintain and update data, records and files, both via paper files and electronic files.
- Accurately complete departmental reports.
- Assists in the setup, refreshments, and supplies for District, meetings, events, board meetings, and other activities within the District.
- Provide information on community-based District programming.
- Provides notary services as required and/or requested.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Data collection and entry into spreadsheets; create reports for Finance.
- Assist with accounts payable data entry and reconciliation.
- Assist with accounts receivable data entry and reconciliation.
- Assist with maintenance of vendor files (electronic and hard copy).
- Assist with annual audit.
Human Resources Support
- Data collection and entry into spreadsheets; create reports for Human Resources.
- Review personnel time and attendance data; create reports for Human Resources.
- Assist with maintenance of data in the Human Resource Information System (INCODE).
- Assist with maintaining personnel files (electronic and hard copy).
- Assist with personnel employment verification and related correspondence.
Required Experience & Qualifications
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Associate Degree in Administrative Office Technology, Business Administration, or related field preferred.
- Professional judgment demonstrated through a work and education history that supports the ability to multi-task and meet demanding assignments under tight deadlines in a team-oriented environment.
- One (1) years’ work experience as an administrative assistant, in customer service, or any equivalent combination of related education and experience.
- Knowledge of and experience with office computers including Microsoft Word, Excel, Internet, databases, and ability to learn other software applications utilized by the department.
Please note: Only candidates who are eligible to work in the United States long-term without a need for sponsorship will be considered for this position.
Desired Experience & Qualifications
- Three (3) years of progressively responsible administrative experience.
- Strong interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- High comfort level with writing reports, analyzing and summarizing data from diverse sources, interviews, meetings, surveys and focus groups, and ability to deliver work on a timeline.
- Proficiency with office and computers including Microsoft Word, Excel, Internet, databases, and ability to learn other software applications utilized by the department.
For immediate consideration, please visit BTFD’s Career Opportunities page at www.JoinBTFD.com/AA. Please email your completed BTFD application, cover letter, and resume to email@example.com. Due to the large number of inquiries we receive, only candidates who have met the required experience & qualifications for this position will be contacted. No phone calls please.
BTFD is an E-Verify Employer
BTFD is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.